Monday, September 20, 2010

Life's Craziness

As I looked at my last blog, it is hard to believe so much time has passed. When I wrote about my little friend, many wonderful things had been happening in his life. As anyone can see from the smiles, there was such love and happiness. Right after that wonderful time, in the same week, my father passed away, and his mother had something devastating happen. SAD??? Oh yes.

The saddest part of it all is that the happiness and love was rejected because of the happening. It seems that life is full of ups and downs. It is amazing how that many of us react in the same way - we blame God. We get upset and can only believe that God is the one responsible, so many people take their hurts, frustrations, and disappointments out on God. Did God change? Nope! Instead of realizing that there are many other factors in any situation, God gets blamed!

Being on the other side of the world, knowing that Mom was literally carrying the whole load by herself until others were able to get there, was a time I had to trust the Lord. God has never failed me yet though, so I didn't need to start now to worry.

I was sitting here in my little office, and suddenly felt compelled to call my Mom. She was sitting beside Dad's bedside in the nursing home. He was no longer eating, but was glad she was with him. As she and I were talking, she said, "Honey, do you want to say hi to your Dad?" Of course I did. She held the phone to his ear so he could hear from my voice.

"Hi, Dad. I love you! I miss you very much!" I could quietly hear him trying to respond to me, but I knew he couldn't talk at the moment, so I just kept talking. "Dad, I talked with Jesus and I told Him that I trust you into His care. I know that He knows what is best for you, so, Dad, it is okay for you to go with Him. Mom will be okay and I will be okay too. Dad, don't worry anymore about Mom. Jesus has her in His hands and He will take care of her. Now, Dad, I just want you to know how much that I really do love you. Thank you for all that you taught me. Thank you for teaching me how to throw a baseball and softball. Thank you for teaching me how to pass and kick a football. Thank you for teaching me how to shoot marbles and always win. And thanks for teaching me how to play checkers. Most of all and more than anything else, Dad, thank for teaching me to believe in Jesus. Thank you for every time you prayed for me when I got sick and you would always say, "You will be alright now." Even after I was married you still prayed and told me that. Dad, I really do miss your phone calls and you praying for me on the phone. I will really miss you, Dad, but it is okay. I release you, Dad, to go. I release you into Jesus' arms. Don't hold on any longer. Let Jesus take you to be where He is. I love you, Dad! I love you soooooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!

Needless to say, I started crying and my Dad heard me crying, which I believe was good. I didn't plan to cry or to say all of those things, but you know what, my Dad heard from his daughter's heart. In less than 24 hours, while my Mom and a hospice nurse were sitting in his room talking, Dad just left. Mom realized that he had stopped breathing. WOW! He finally left with Jesus. Peaceful? Oh yes. Comfort? Oh yes. Such love and peace consumed my Mom. No I wasn't at the funeral, but Mom and I talked several times by phone and I knew God was truly carrying her.

To my greatest surprise, God miraculously provided the way to go to the states 2 weeks later. My going to the states gave Mom something to look forward to. I knew that my going was not to try to move her, change this or that in her life, but just go be with her and love her. Going to McDonalds every morning and doing pretty much the same things was quite challenging for me, after my very busy schedule here, but to just sit together and enjoy each other's company was priceless.

Her birth certificate became a challenge when the one she had all her life was changed at the state office and they said, "That is final." SMILE!!! Well, that means her drivers license had to be updated. How crazy was that?

Worrying about money, God had told Mom many times in the past couples years, "I will provide. I will work things out." Well, she and I stood in the drivers license office and she looked at me saying, "Sharon, I don't know what I should do. I can wait till later, because I don't think I can afford to do this today." In front of the counter before the woman came to wait on Mom, I said, "Excuse me, Mom. What did you say that God told you?" She said, "I know, but......." I said, "Mom, there are NO BUTS to what God says. He knows what is going on and He will take care of you."

Just then, the lady came to ask her questions. She stated that it would cost $24.50. First the lady would need to call the state office to change everything, then she would process it. Mom looked at me and said, "Lord, Sharon, it is $24.50." I said, "Mom! What did He say?"

The lady came back and said, "Everything is taken care of in that office. Now lets get this done. Instead of $24.50, Mrs. Settles, it will only be $3.50 for you. Lets take your picture. Please step over this way." Mom's eyes bugged out as she passed me by. I said while snickering, "Excuse me, what did HEEEEEEEE say?" I wanted to laugh so hard, but I behaved myself till we got into the car.

When things in life seem to become the craziest ride, focus on the tree tops. Who knows, God might be there.

1 comment:

  1. I love this testimony Sharon, its just like my GOD and I can see you laughing again and again over the license

    ReplyDelete